Wednesday, March 11, 2009

We have a new addition to the family!

She's really cute. She's 5 years old. Weighs about 14 lbs. and she's furry! Her name is Gracie and she is a white and tan Shih Tzu.

Since Demi's 3rd birthday (almost 2 years ago now) she has been bugging us for a dog. We live in a rental with no fenced in yard and didn't really want to go the puppy route. Carpet + puppy = lots of carpet cleaning! My Mom is constantly sending me e-mails about critters that need good homes. And I am forever calling my Mom and asking her if she's trying to break my heart or what -- because I'd take them all if I could afford to feed them!

Lately Demi's pitch for a dog has gone into overdrive for some reason. A typical conversation in the car going to or coming home from pre-school goes like this...

Demi: "Momma, can I have a dog?"

Me: "No, Demi. No dog right now."

Demi: "Momma, can I have a kitten?"

Me: "No, Demi. We have a cat."

Demi: Momma, can I have a baby brother or sister?"

Me: "NO, Demi!" (While I'm thinking, not only NO, but HELL NO!)

Last Friday Mom forwarded me yet another e-mail from one of her co-workers who had a dog that needed a good home. I didn't open it until Saturday afternoon and immediately fell in love with this cute little pooch. Dee heard me commenting on how cute this dog was and came over to see. She asked me what the deal was with this dog and I let her read the e-mail. Then she turns to me and says, "What do you think? She could be Demi's birthday present." Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather!

So to make a long story a little shorter, I called and we went and met Gracie. Gracie is a very calm and laid back little dog. Just as sweet as she can be -- is housebroken, well-trained and formerly belonged to an older couple who just couldn't take care of her anymore. Gracie came home with us and has settled in quite well. And to say that Demi is thrilled is an understatement! As a matter fact, we're all thrilled -- except the cat . . . O'Malley is NOT thrilled, but adjusting!

Yesterday Dee picked Demi up from school. Demi said, "Nana, can I have a dog?" Dee said, "Demi you have a dog!" Oh, yeah! Thank you for my dog, Nana. I love her so much!"


No comments: