Our dear friends and neighbors, Kelly and Brent, are expecting their first child, a little girl, in mid-June. Dee and I went to Kelly's baby shower recently and it was wonderful -- good food, good folks and lots of pink!
We made two of the gifts we took -- a framed piece with a spot for a newborn photo and the baby's stats; and closet rod organizers. Brent calls Kelly "Teacup" and she calls him "Bear", so we knew that we wanted to somehow incorporate both a teacup and a bear in the framed piece. Anyone who knows Kelly knows that she is the Queen of Organization! I had seen closet rod organizers on the Cricut messageboard several months ago and immediately knew I would be making a set for Kelly. (For the uninitiated, closet rod organizers or dividers, separate different sized clothing so you know at a glance what sizes you have.)
We purchased the 11 x 14 white frame at Michael's. The patterned background paper is an embossed "Baby Girl/Stamps" from Heidi Grace Designs. The solid pink is Bazzill Basics cardstock called "Pinkini". The green is Bazzil Basics Bling cardstock called "Petty Cash". All other paper is either leftover scraps or just plain white cardstock. "Bling" is used in the center of the flowers on the teacup and on the frame corners. The stats oval was printed from my computer and then run thru the Cricut to cut it out.
Here are the sizes and Cricut cartridges used:
Pink Journey Cartridge:
Picture Frame - 7" w by 5" h.
Scalloped Oval - 3 7/8" w
Inner Oval - 3 1/2 " w
Tea Cup Floral Flourish - 3 1/4" w
Mother's Day 2010 Cartridge:
Eyelet Lace - 11" w by 2" h
Disney Dreams Come True Cartridge:
Tea Cup - 4" w
Calligraphy Collection Cartridge:
Name (Inspiration Font with Blackout) - 1 3/4" h
Teddy Bear - 3 1/4" h
Here are some close-up shots. (Sorry about the glare -- I took these at about 1:30 AM the morning of the shower, which is when I finally finished it!)
The closet rod organizers are wooden doorknob hangers purchased at our local Michael's. Dee had to alter them a bit to fit the closet rod in the baby's room. The hangers had an arched top and would not fit! So she cut off the arch with her circular saw and then sanded and rounded the edges. She then gave them a coat or two of paint. In the meantime, I figured out the dimensions and laid it out in the Cricut Design Studio to cut the front panel out of paper. Then I cut all of the additional decorations and assembled them. They turned out so cute and Kelly loved them! (Brent even said he wanted a set for his closet - just not in pink!)