Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Stockings & Stuffers Challenge

This week at Cooking With Cricut our challenge theme is "Stockings & Stuffers, Gift, Gift Cards, Stocking Stuffer gifts or a project with a stocking on it or in it."  Whew!  This challenge was so much fun that I made two things for it!

The first item is a gift card holder.  I used the Accent Essentials (snowflake), Calligraphy Collection (letter "y") and Joys of the Season (stocking and tag card) cartridges as well as the Cricut Design Studio.

The tag is 7" wide by 4" tall.  There is a "tag" card on the Joys of the Season cartridge, but it is hinged on the end and I wanted mine to hinge on the top side like a card.  So I laid it out in Design Studio and welded two tags together.  Easy peasy!  The papers are all from my scrap stash -- so I have no idea who made them.  Sorry.  But, I sure do love using up my scraps!

The stocking is cut at 2 1/2" and has pale green bling on the cuff.  The snowflake is cut at 2 1/2 " also and is blinged out with clear rhinestones.  The "y" is cut at 2 3/4" and is outlined using a white jellyroll pen.  I also did some pen "stitching" around the edge of the card.  I tied a bow using a silver metallic cording and a metallic red ribbon and curled the ends around a pen.  It is adhered using a glue dot.  On the inside of the card I measure the gift card and then cut slits to slide it into using a notch cutter by making memories.  Rhinestone bling and ribbon purchased at Michael's.

The second item I created is a stocking stuffer for my 6 year old daughter.  Demi has loved snowmen since her very first Christmas when she received a stuffed snowman.  My Mom started giving her snow globes for Christmas each year and she now has a growing collection.  Dee and I always give her a snow-related Christmas ornament of some sort and we usually paint a snowman figurine for her too.  It is my Florida-baby's greatest wish to go and see snow!  So I knew that anything I created for her had to have snowmen and snowflakes featured. 

After spending most of the month of November sick, I had plenty of empty Sucrets Cough Lozenge tins left over.  They are the perfect stocking stuffing size!  I cleaned up the tin, removed all the labels and got to work.  Some more paper from my scrap stash covers the lid exterior and interior.  The snowman is cut from the Doodlecharms cartridge.  His hat and scarf are from the Paper Doll Dress Up cartridge (the groom's top hat and the pirate's sash).

I glittered the band on his top hat with some fine green glitter (Michael's), inked the details, gave him some rosy cheeks with a little bit of chalk and added two rhinestone snowflakes (Michael's).

Then I got to work creating the gifts to go inside the tin.  Demi is such a girlie-girl!  She loves playing dress-up, jewelry, hair accessories, and make-up.  No make-up in this gift but she did get her wish for some "dangly" earrings! 

I beaded a bracelet and a pair of "dangly" earrings, made a snowflake pin and a matching barrette.  I think she'll love them!

Don't forget to pop over to Cooking With Cricut and see what my fellow "Chefs" have created for this challenge.  Oh!  And make sure you check back there daily -- Melin is giving away free cutting or digistamp files everyday until Christmas as well as ideas for beautiful layouts and cards as part of Cooking With Cricut's 25 Days of Cricut countdown! 

3 comments:

kramer_buffy said...

demi is going to be head over heels with this cute set!!!! I just love every piece of it! My daughter (4yr) says she needs one... LOL!!!!

about the tag... I think this is the most perfect tag EVER! I was last night looking at that stocking cut in my cricut handbook and kept thinking what cool thing can I do with it... and decided I couldn't figure out anything cool... now I am happy because I wouldn't have wanted to be in the same post as this piece of perfection.... the funny thing is that I have ALL of those cartridges so I will be BORROWING your idea!

kramer_buffy said...

btw... silly me forgot to say the last comment is me Dalis from CWC DT... LOL!!!!!

kramer_buffy said...

yes, zooballoo and there are more that have the outlines and shadows features, but can't remember the others... but imagine some cute zoo animals cookies... link me if you make some.

-- dalis